The Exclusion list is a list of email addresses that are prevented from receiving campaigns and automation emails from you.
- Contacts (email addresses) can have an "Active" status for a list and also appear on the Exclusion list
- Being on the Exclusion list does not affect list status(es)
- Contacts with an "Active" status and who also appear on the Exclusion list will not be sent your campaigns
- Contacts with an "Active" status and who also appear on the Exclusion list are considered in the "Total Contacts" shown on Campaign Summary pages
How contacts are added to the Exclusion list
These email addresses can be added to the Exclusion list in a variety of ways:
- An account user can manually add them
You can add full email addresses or email addresses that begin with or end in a certain way. This method will not remove a contact's "Active" status, nor will it change their subscriptions in any way.
- A contact clicked the %UNSUBSCRIBELINK%&ALL link in an email you sent
When a contact clicks this unsubscribe link, you will be able to view them on your Manage Exclusions page. In addition, the contact will have an Unsubscribed status for each list they are subscribed to.
- A contact clicked the spam button in their inbox to mark your email as spam
In this case, the contact will be added to our internal account Exclusion list. This is hidden from your account for compliance reasons. A contact added to the Exclusion list in this way will have an unsubscribed status for each list.
How to find the Exclusion list
The Exclusion list can be accessed from the Contacts Overview page. To view this list, click Contacts on the left menu, then click "List Exclusions." The Manage Exclusions page will load.
Here you can exclude:
- A specific email address
This will exclude a single contact.
- A partial email address (begins with or ends with)
This will exclude all contacts whose email address begins with or ends with the information you supplied.
In addition, you get to choose if the email address should be excluded from receiving emails sent to all lists, or a specific list(s).
How to add a single contact to your Exclusion list
- From the List Exclusions page, click the "Add" button.
- Click the dropdown under "Exclude address that" and choose from: exactly matches, begins with, or ends with.
- Type the email address into the field provided.
- Select if the Exclusion should apply to all lists or one or more specific lists.
- If you choose to exclude the email address from one or more lists, click each list you wish to exclude the email address from. This means that the contact whose email matches your supplied information will not receive any emails sent to that specific list(s).
- Click the "Add" button.
The email address will be listed on the Manage Exclusions page
How to import multiple contacts to the Exclusion list
In this section, we'll show you how to import a CSV file of email addresses into the Exclusion list. This method will exclude all email addresses in your file from receiving emails sent to any list.
- Click Contacts > Import.
- Click the "Import from file" button.
- The file browser will open. Select the file you wish to import into the Exclusion list.
- Scroll to the bottom of the of the Imports page, and click the dropdown located in the "Import Options" box.
- Click the "Import as Excluded" option.
- Click "Import Now."
The email addresses in your file will be added to the Exclusion list.
How to remove contacts from the Exclusion list
You can remove the following email addresses from the Exclusion List:
- Email addresses you added
- Contacts who clicked the %UNSUBSCRIBELINK%&ALL link in an email you sent
To remove a single email address:
- Click Contacts > List Exclusions.
- Locate the email address you wish to remove from this list.
- Click the "Delete" button.
The email address will be removed from the Exclusion list.
To remove multiple email addresses:
- Click Contacts > List Exclusions.
- Click the checkbox next to each email address you want to remove.
- Click the "Delete Selected" button.
- Click "OK."